A Brief History of Living Waters Christian Community

During the later years of the nineteenth century, there arose a conviction among many people that a fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit was greatly needed for believers to advance the Kingdom of God. As these believers sought for a deeper and further spiritual grace for our Lord, their cries were heard and a new outpouring of the Holy Spirit began across Europe and America.

One of these groups of believers in the Spring of 1909 started a prayer group in the home of Adrian Spain, thus what we now know as Living Waters Christian Community sprang from humble beginnings. Within a short time, the meeting was moved to the upstairs room of a grocery store on Angier Avenue in Durham and was accepted in the North Carolina Conference of the Pentecostal Holiness Church as a mission outreach in October 1909 as the Edgemont Pentecostal Holiness Church.

In 1912 after a fire during the Annual Church Conference destroyed the grocery store, land was purchased and the Lyon Street Pentecostal Holiness Church was dedicated in 1914. The Lyon Street Church operated from 1914-1937 until under the direction of Reverend Jack F. Goins, the church purchased the property at the corner of Hyde Park Avenue and Taylor Street in Durham and dedicated the Hyde Park Facility in the fall of 1938. Further expansion of the facility took place when the Educational Building was dedicated in 1960. In 1978 under the direction of the reverend C. C. Carpenter, the current site we now occupy was purchased. The first service was held on the site during a tent meeting where former pastor J. Arthur Wells was the evangelist.

The official dedication of the Main Sanctuary was on October 30, 1983 under Pastor Larry Queen. In attendance were the 60 adults and children who made up the congregation of the Hyde Park Church. The facility was further expanded with the addition of the Family Life Center in 1987. In March 1992 Ron Watts joined the staff as the Associate Pastor and served in that capacity until he assumed the duties of the Senior Pastor on January 1, 1995.

 

:: top of page ::